Sunday, May 8, 2011

Hope's fragile leaves

I start morning glory plants from seed in Februrary-March each year, and then plant them outside so they can grow up the trellises that I have stationed around the yard.  Beginning in August, they bloom non-stop for several weeks.  This year I didn't start them until the middle of April, and only two have survived so far.  They have a lot of growing to do between now and August.

I have been under the weather again this weekend, so didn't get out for a nice picture.  So, tonight's picture is an example of how you can use a pop-up flash for some dramatic lighting. 

Normally I hate the blasted look created by the pop-up flash.  So, when I have to use it I like to put some tissue paper or even a Kleenex over it to diffuse the light, which helps bring down the intensity. 

In this case, I stuck the metal rim of a work light (with the bulb removed) around the pop-up flash, directing the majority of the light up, so it fell softly down onto the plants, letting them glow out of the darkness.

Nikon D90
Nikkor 18-105mm f3.5-5.6
105mm - ISO 800
1/60s- f/5.6

No comments:

Post a Comment