Saturday, March 5, 2011

Unwanted coleslaw

Unwanted coleslaw sounds like a pretty good band name to me.  I liked this picture because of the way that the flash interacted with the shallow depth of field and the shiny surfaces.  I fired the flash on camera, pointed straight up to the ceiling.  If I had put a warming gel on the flash, the light would have been more subtle, but I like the way the white bowl and pale green coleslaw are brought out by the pure bare flash. 

I fired it on manual at 1/64 power, which according to Nikon, means that the duration of the flash was 1/35700 sec. 

My shutter speed was 1/60 sec, which means that the light from the flash only shone for 0.1% of the time that the shutter was open.  It is hard to believe that such a short period of time can affect a shot so much, but it really can.

Nikon D90
50mm - ISO 400
1/60s- f/1.8

No comments:

Post a Comment