Sunday, June 19, 2011

Fly away, firefly

I walked outside tonight to water my plants and saw my kitten laying in the grass for the longest time staring into space.  I finally realized that he was enjoying his very own laser light show in the form of a gazillion fireflies.  Of course I immediately decided to see if I could capture them with my camera.  I used a long exposure and small aperture, much as I do when shooting fireworks.  As a first try, it isn't great.  But, I was getting eaten up by mosquitoes and decided to call it a night after just a few shots.  There are a lot of weirdly colored street and house lights which were interfering a lot with where I could shoot.  And you can tell that we didn't mow the lawn this weekend with all of the glowing clover.  Give it a try in your own backyard on a dark still night.  Just bring a lot of bug spray!  I have to think about this one some more, and then try again.
























Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 24-105mm f4
75mm - ISO 1600
30s- f/13

No comments:

Post a Comment